Fitness Memphis is packed with some great outdoor ideas and information for you to stay healthy (& burn off those dry-rub ribs ;-) during your next visit.
Memphis is a beautiful and historic city on the Mississippi River.
This page has some ideas to help you enjoy it by getting outdoors while you’re there.
There are links to Memphis’ parks, running groups, sporting goods stores, popular running races and much more.
No matter what your travel itinerary has in store, you should be able to find a nice walking path, gym, jogging trail, or golf course to help you stay fit on your trip.
This city has a lot to offer...now get out there & enjoy Fitness Memphis!
Beautiful Greenbelt Park - along the Mississippi River in Memphis
Fitness Memphis - Parks & Trails
There are 34 parks throughout downtown Memphis, many of which have nice walking, jogging, and nature paths. In addition to the parks below, Frayser Park has a 1.5 mile walking trail (2907 North Watkins St.); and Gaisman Park also has a trail that’s nearly 1.5 miles (4223 Macon Dr.). The Memphis Riverfront website has an interactive map that shows some of the parks along the Mississippi river.
- Greenbelt: Just north of Mud Island Park, Greenbelt Park is a beautiful strip of tree-lined river frontage that’s perfect for a picnic, nice jog or stroll. You have the majestic Mississippi River on one side and the scenic bluffs on the other. See the picture above from my morning run. You can jog or walk on the pedestrian path of the Auction Avenue bridge, right near the Pyramid.
- Mud Island: This park spans over 52 acres along the Mississippi River with a very unique River Walk model of the mighty Mississippi. There’s a museum, shops, amphitheater, swimming pool, and the Memphis Belle pavilion.
- Tom Lee Park: Located along the beautiful Memphis riverfront, Tom Lee Park is a great place for nice stroll or jog along the Mississippi River. It’s named after Tom Lee, a local hero who saved 32 people from a sinking steamer in 1925. Today, it’s the popular spot for activities, events, walkers, and joggers.
- Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park: Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park: Located just north of Memphis along the Mississippi River, this 13,467-acre park has over 20-miles of trails, camp sites, a boat ramp, a museum, and a nature center for your enjoyment.
- Fuller State Park: Located just 11 miles south of downtown Memphis, this 1,138-acre park has a nice 1.5-mile nature trail, picnicking areas, and even an Olympic size swimming pool.
- Herb Parsons State Lake: Located just outside Memphis is Collierville, The Herb Parsons State Lake has a nice 6.5 mile trail around it…not to mention the fishing and recreation at the lake itself.
Still looking? The Mid-South Trails Association has many other trail maps and event calendars for the Memphis area that are worth checking out.
Fitness Memphis – Running & Outdoor Stores
Whether you need a new wind breaker, pair of shoes, or even a reflective vest, nothing beats a running specialty store for finding the right thing. Below are just a few of the reputable stores in Memphis that can help you out.
- New Balance Memphis: Here you'll find a wide selection of New Balance men's & women's running shoes, New Balance cross-trainers, trail running shoes, tennis, basketball, retro New Balance styles, Dunham boots and athletic apparel.
- Breakaway Athletics: Breakaway Athletics have two stores – one in Midtown and the other in Germantown. Both are staffed by knowledgeable runners. They organize a running camp in June and they also embroidery services for custom gear.
- Outdoors, Inc.: Outdoors, Inc. is a really neat sporting goods store that has everything from skiing, hiking, trail running, kayaking, climbing, and most other outdoor recreational sports. If you need some supplies for your outdoor trek, this is the place to go.
Fitness Memphis – Running & Fitness Groups
- Memphis Runners Track Club: The Memphis Runners Track Club has a really good site that keeps their members abreast of local races, trail runs, group runs, and other fun activities. They have ideas of where to run and a comprehensive race calendar. If you’re going to be in Memphis for awhile, join this group to stay in shape and have fun!
Fitness Memphis – Other Fitness Ideas
( Gyms, Biking and Golf)
Aside from the parks and trails in Memphis, there are also plenty of other fitness ideas in this neat city. Check out the Fitness Memphis links below if you’re looking for a gym, biking trail, or golf course for your stay.
- Memphis Health Clubs: If you’re looking for a health club in Memphis, there are plenty of destinations to choose from. There are numerous facilities in the Memphis area.
- Memphis Biking Routes: Memphis has more than 60 miles of shared roadway or bike-route tours. These can be used for recreation, commuting to work, or for seeing some of the cities many attractions such as the zoo, museums, the riverfront and much more.
- Memphis Golf Courses: Memphis has some really nice golf courses and if you play like me...you’ll get lots of miles of walking in (think zig-zag ;-). Whether you’re looking for a golf course or a golf resort, Memphis has many options.
Fitness Memphis – Running Races
If your stay in Memphis overlaps a one of these big race-day weekends, why not sign up for the exercise and excitement! Below are just a few of the more popular Memphis races:
- St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend: This fun-filled race day is usually held in early December. There’s a marathon, hal-marathon, and the Memphis Grizzlies 5k. From the smell of barbeque to the sound of rock-n-roll, this is guaranteed to be a blast.
- The Firecracker 5k: This festive event held around the 4th of July attracts over 2,000 runners and walkers to raise money for the St. Jude Children’s Hospital. And the post-race pool party with food, drinks, and prizes will top off your fun-filled day!
- Memphis in May Triathlon: This event attracts pro and amateur athletes from all over the world. It starts in Edmund Orgill Park in Millington with the 1.5k swin, followed by the 40k bike, and culminating with the 10k run. There’s a hospitality tent at the finish with free barbeque, music, games, and prizes.
You can find more comprehensive race calendars on the Memphis Runners link above or at the RunningRacesUSA website.
Whether you’re moving, visiting or planing a vacation to this great city, try out some of these Fitness Memphis ideas as there's plenty of outdoor fitness fun to be had. So next time you’re sitting in that boring hotel room...get out there and enjoy this great city!
Leave Fitness Memphis & Return to Travel Fitness